The feeding saga continues…
Yesterday, I heard back from the Children’s Hospital GI clinic that they were unable to get C in to the feeding clinic for evaluation before October 30. The plan was to bring him in to his pediatrician’s office every two weeks for a weight check, to be called in to the GI clinic for monitoring. If his weight dropped to an unsatisfactory level he would be admitted to Children’s Hospital as an inpatient and receive a feeding tube.
After taking the rest of yesterday to really think about all of this and process all of C’s behavior as of late, I decided that the plan was not good enough. C continues to eat less every day. He is becoming more tired daily. Yesterday while Baby Jo was napping, we spent the entire afternoon lying on his bed watching, “Cars.”
If you’ve been reading for a while, that may bother you like it bothered me. C does not lie around. This boy likes to run around, get into things, climb and actively play – constantly. He’s a little monkey. His body is no longer able to maintain that energy because he hasn’t been getting enough calories for so long. He needs help.
So I called his pediatrician this morning and voiced my concerns. Without even consulting the doctor, the nurse (who had checked in with me multiple times this week) said immediately that they wanted to see him today.
I have no idea how he managed, but he did gain a few ounces since his last appointment at their office a few weeks ago. His pediatrician told me that he would call into the Children’s Hospital GI clinic and see what he could do.
Within the time it took me to change Baby Jo’s pungent poop explosion, the pediatrician was back to tell me that C would be admitted to Children’s Hospital. He will receive a feeding tube and we are uncertain how long he will remain an inpatient, or if he will be sent home with the feeding tube still attached. Before I left the office, my phone was ringing and it was the nurse from the GI clinic to tell me about the arrangements.
We will be heading to Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin at noon tomorrow, where C will be admitted as an inpatient. I believe that means he will be evaluated by the feeding clinic as an inpatient. I am very pleased that he will receive the care that he needs, and pleased that they are not putting things off while he gets weaker and more lethargic. But this is also a scary thing. I never thought it would come to this.
I wasn’t sure how to prepare C for this, considering I’m not certain how to prepare myself for this. As he was going to bed tonight, I told him that we were going to take him to a doctor tomorrow and then I sang him the theme song from “Doc McStuffins.”