I love the flavors of summer, the freshness of tomatoes and herbs, the abundant zucchini. Fresh mozzarella paired with tomatoes? Perfection.
We had several zucchini and tomatoes in our CSA share. Instead of making the typical zucchini casserole or homemade salsa, I wanted to get creative. What could I do with zucchini that I hadn’t already done? Then it dawned on me: zucchini ribbon noodles! Or zoodles, if you wish.
Fresh basil, grape tomatoes, garlic, a splash of olive oil and a can of diced tomatoes for good measure. This cooked down to a beautiful sauce, which I blended for a few minutes to even out the texture. With C’s sensory processing disorder, the texture needed to be smooth.
I sautéed the zoodles until they were soft, but not mushy. Place a chicken breast on your serving of zoodles, pour on a little homemade tomato basil sauce and top with a slice of fresh mozzarella. Voilà, Gluten-Free Caprese Chicken! Delicious.
- 4 chicken breasts, cooked
- 2 large zucchini
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 1-3 cloves garlic, depending on flavor preference
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Slice fresh mozzarella and set aside.
- Peel zucchini, discarding skin.
- Use vegetable peeler or mandoline slicer to slice zucchini into noodles, discarding seeds from interior of zucchini.
- Place zucchini noodles in a colander and sprinkle with salt. Let them sweat for a few minutes, then squeeze out excess water.
- In a large pan, sauté zucchini noodles over low heat until soft, but not mushy.
- In a separate pan, add olive oil, garlic, grape tomatoes, diced tomatoes and fresh basil and cook over medium heat until tomatoes burst.
- Blend sauce until you achieve desired texture.